On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Sidney Cadot <sid...@jigsaw.nl> wrote:
>> If you want bare metal IEEE 754 for your scientific computing
>> application, then you might want to rethink doing your math operations
>> in a data storage system.
>
> You are making it sound as if proper support for IEEE-754 types would
> open up some can of worms for regular users, but I really don't see
> why you think that is the case. They would see an occasional "NaN"
> instead of NULL if they did something naughty; I personally think that
> is a lot more informative.

There's not the slightest doubt in my mind that such a change would
break applications that have baked in the expectation that infinities
and NaNs are NULLs.  I don't know that there are such applications,
only that if there are any such, they will break if SQLite3 begins to
handl such values differently all of a sudden.  Given that there are
many, many SQLite3 applications, it is really not possible to say,
with a straight face anyways, that no applications would break.

Nico