Antonio Maniero <mani...@klip.net> wrote:
>>> Why SQLite dropped the 8859 or single byte support for text? Is there
>>> any technical reason?
>>
>> What do you mean, dropped? What exactly used to worked before and has
> stopped working now? What event has occurred between then and now that you
> attribute the problem to?
>
> Maybe I had misunderstood some old documentation and release notes talking
> about 8859. Specially from http://www.sqlite.org/c_interface.html :

I see. Well, SQLite2 is ancient: that ship has sailed and it's not coming back.

Did SQLite2 actually implement case-insensitive comparison on accented Latin
characters? I honestly don't know - by the time I got involved with SQLite (in
late 2005), SQLite2 was already history, and its original documentation doesn't
seem to exist anymore.

> Version 3 keeps support for 8859?

No, not really. But, again, it won't prevent you from storing 8859-encoded
strings in the database, and installing a custom collation that understands
them, if you are so inclined. Personally, I'd seriously consider switching to
UTF-8.
--
Igor Tandetnik