Hi Michael and Petite,

Thanks for the replies.

On 9/10/2011 10:08 PM, Petite Abeille wrote:
On Oct 9, 2011, at 1:03 PM, Black, Michael (IS) wrote:

For your example create a separate table with just the first letter and build
an index on it.
This is most likely pointless as the selectivity of such index is going to be
very low.

I agree about FTS... we use that too... I'm actually just looking to see how we can reduce the indexes that we have. In a discussion someone mentioned 'would it help if we sorted all our data before inserting into a table?' (given that we have a read-only database) and we got the feeling that we would probably need to create an index anyway - there is probably no way to tell SQLite something like 'the data in this table is sorted by the field that we are querying'..

Maybe, if we had a column called 'published_date' and we did a query for data within a date range.. the fastest way to get the information back would be to have an index on that column. Suppose we sorted all the data by date - would there be a way to use that information so that we don't have to create the index?

Maybe, I'm worrying about the wrong things :)

Best Regards,
Mohit.
9/10/2011 | 10:49 PM.