> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Jason Gauthier <jgauth...@lastar.com>wrote:
>
>> I built the table on the same system with mysql.
>

> Have you tried using SQLite4 (http://www.sqlite.org/src4)?  You should
> be able to download the latest check-in and type ./configure; make to
> build a shell in which to run the experiment.  I think it might be a
> lot faster in your case.  Would love to hear about your results from
> trying this experiment.
>

>Also, please try your speed measurement using SQLite3 again, but in WAL mode.
>Set WAL mode by running:

   > PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL;

>on the database before running the speed trial.  I look forward to seeing the
>results of these experiments.

Richard,

 Thanks so much for your ideas.  Trying the PRAMGA mode was easy, so I did that
first:

# time sqlite3 trip.db "PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL; delete from trip where
key<=1400;"

real    0m1.410s
# time sqlite3 trip.db "PRAGMA journal_mode=WAL; delete from trip where
key<=1600;"

real    0m1.554s
# time sqlite3 trip.db "delete from trip where key<=1800;"
real    0m1.830s

I am struggling with sqlite4, though.  I've never used fossil, so I may have
approached this wrong.  I grabbed it with:
fossil clone http://www.sqlite.org/src4 sqlite4.fossil
and then 'fossil open sqlite4.fossil'.

However, there isn't a 'configure' inside this, so I am attempting to 'make'.
Unfortunately, the build environment is having a issues with this.
Did I grab the latest check-in the way you assumed I would?

Thanks,

Jason