> >> My pet peeve is the lousy error message like Microsoft used to produce
> >> "dll not found".  What DLL?  What error?  E.g. File not found or
> permission
> >> problem?
> >
> > My favorite is from the service manager:
> >
> > "The Service could not be started because the file could not be found".
> >
> > Wouldn't it be nice to tell me (a) what service or (b) what file and (c)
> where you were looking.
>
> In a previous version of Mac OS X sometimes deleting a file worked
> properly but triggered an error message anyway.  The error message said
> something like
>
> The file "" could not be deleted because the file no longer exists.
>
> .  The filename inside the quotes was always blank because it couldn't
> find out the name because the file no longer existed.  It's really hard
> explaining to users why it won't tell them what the problem is or what
> file caused it.

Of course the file name is known -- how else would it know that it no longer
exists?
Failing to use the correct variable in the error message is a defect in the
processing logic.

BTW, the bug you point out is quite common and exists in many operating systems
(and applications).

---
()  ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org