I need to craete a lookup table which has the form

create table lookup (index int, start int end int)

The takle will be joined on a second table via the index column

the table is likely to have a few million rows and I will be doing many
thousands of lookups consequtively. My current lookups are of the form

select * from master as m, lookup as l where x >= start and and x < end and
m.index = l.index

i sthere an efficient way of doing this - 30,000 lookups on two table seach
with about 1 million rows is taking about 30 minutes.

Can I structure my lookup table differently? would indexes help in anyway?

Thanks