On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Myself, if I'm "thinking in sets", all implementation details aside, the
> UPDATE statement looks fine and correct, and I'd have expected SQLite to
> support it.
>
> But I'm just waiting to read Dr. Hipp's own read on this now. --DD

I'm busy with a different problem and don't have time to study your thread,
so I'm guessing at the answer:

The UPDATE statement in SQLite operates row-by-row.  The effect of early
row updates might be visible in later row updates if you contrive a
sufficiently complex example.  But you really have to go out of your way to
do that.  If a constraint error happens, the entire UPDATE statement is
rolled back (except if OR FAIL is specified - see the docs).

Yes, I know this is not "relational".  No, I do not intend to fix it.

> -

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org