Tomorrow I may describe two real-world cases where logical uniqueness
constraints are difficult or extremely difficult to enforce naturally using
standard SQL uniqueness constraints.  Both are or can be generalizations of
the id,attr,val model, one of them using a timeseries approach to permit
point-in-time queries and in-the-future updates.   Once more these are
cop-outs in that uniqueness on some level is desired, just not the SQL
level, but since that's what we're talking about... they seem like fair
examples.