On Thu, 2013-11-28 at 12:11 +0100, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Tristan Van Berkom wrote:
> > Are the JOIN statements equal to the logical AND statements,
>
> Yes.

Thank you.

> > for all practical purposes ?
>
> If you drop all those superfluous LEFT OUTER and IS NOT NULL parts,
> the database will be able to optimize the first query (the one
> without subqueries) better.

Yes, I definitely agree that on a conceptual level, I should not
have to consider the pre-optimization of my own query before
launching it. As a functional language, I should only have to
describe the query and let SQLite do a better optimization.

My skills in writing SQL are (already admittedly) lacking and
so, after months (of myself, and other competent engineers
involved), I ended up with this convoluted nested select thing.

I will definitely try this solution as it will significantly
simplify my query generator, but I'll need to benchmark it
with big data sets before I'm satisfied, of course.

Thanks for your help,

    -Tristan