On 5 Dec 2013, at 2:40pm, L. Wood <lwoo...@live.com> wrote:

> We are trying to find ways to avoid the corruption problem that D. Richard
> Hipp outlined. See his steps (1)-(5) in a previous post.

Okay.  Sorry, but this is not possible using a client/client DBMS and a setup
where your users can move the database files while the App is running.
Whatever you can do in your app can always be topped by a user being
sufficiently clever.

>> When writing that, don't forget that Unix, the underlying
>> OS used for the Mac operating system, allows a file to be
>> moved/renamed/deleted even while an application has it open.
>
> Yes, and that is exactly why I asked what I asked, namely whether a mode that
> opened the journal file only once is a possibility or not.

Doesn't help.  Because the corruption can happen if the journal file is moved
after the app has crashed.  And if the app has crashed it doesn't have any of
the files open and can't monitor them being moved.

Millions of us use SQLite databases on Macs and this has never been a big
problem.  I suspect you're spending too much time on this eventuality which can
be triggered only by a malicious user.  And if you have malicious users the
only defence against them is to set things up so they don't have enough
privileges to mess with your valuable files.

Simon.