That branch is a "sponsored" change.  We are in communication with the
sponsor asking if they will consider WITH RECURSIVE syntax.  Their original
request specified Oracle10g-compatible CONNECT-BY syntax.  It depends on
what the sponsor really wants.  (We await their reply.)

The code will only make it into trunk if the sponsor selects WITH RECURSIVE.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Petite Abeille <petite.abei...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Couldn’t help but notice a brand new branch in SQLite’s repository, the
> one labeled "Start a new experimental branch for support of Oracle-style
> CONNECT BY syntax.”.
>
> http://www.sqlite.org/src/info/4365ddd62d
>
> Two reactions:
>
> (1) Recursive queries! Yes! Hurray! :D
>
> (2) CONNECT BY syntax?!? What the…!!! To paraphrase Ridley Scott: “On the
> interweb, no one can hear you scream.”
>
> If you are considering a syntax for recursion... please, please, pretty
> please, use Common Table Expression. Even Oracle does use it now.
>
> "Common table expressions are supported by DB2, Firebird, Microsoft SQL
> Server, Oracle (with recursion since 11g release 2), PostgreSQL (since
> 8.4), HyperSQL and H2 (experimental).”.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_and_recursive_queries_in_SQL
>
> Let have SQLite added to that list :))

D. Richard Hipp