On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Petite Abeille <petite.abei...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Aha… I see… well… if that mysterious sponsor is familiar with ‘connect by’
> they should have no issue with a recursive ‘with’ clause syntax, which is
> what Oracle provides now.

The sponsor might have a big pile of preexisting Oracle10g CONNECT BY code
that they need to run.  I feel sure that if they just want "recursive
queries" for use in code that has not yet been written then we can convince
them to go with SQL:1999 WITH RECURSIVE.  But if the enhancement is needed
to support legacy code, they might instead insist on CONNECT BY syntax.  I
still don't know what the situation is.  Hopefully we'll here back soon....

> See "Recursive Subquery Factoring” in Oracle’s very own documentation:
>

> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e26088/statements_10002.htm#SQLRF55268
>
> http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e26088/statements_10002.htm#SQLRF55227
>

> On Jan 8, 2014, at 8:03 PM, Richard Hipp <d...@sqlite.org> wrote:
>
> > That branch is a "sponsored" change.  We are in communication with the
> > sponsor asking if they will consider WITH RECURSIVE syntax.  Their
> original
> > request specified Oracle10g-compatible CONNECT-BY syntax.  It depends on
> > what the sponsor really wants.  (We await their reply.)
> >
> > The code will only make it into trunk if the sponsor selects WITH
> RECURSIVE.
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM, Petite Abeille <petite.abei...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Couldn’t help but notice a brand new branch in SQLite’s repository, the
> >> one labeled "Start a new experimental branch for support of Oracle-style
> >> CONNECT BY syntax.”.
> >>
> >> http://www.sqlite.org/src/info/4365ddd62d
> >>
> >> Two reactions:
> >>
> >> (1) Recursive queries! Yes! Hurray! :D
> >>
> >> (2) CONNECT BY syntax?!? What the…!!! To paraphrase Ridley Scott: “On
> the
> >> interweb, no one can hear you scream.”
> >>
> >> If you are considering a syntax for recursion... please, please, pretty
> >> please, use Common Table Expression. Even Oracle does use it now.
> >>
> >> "Common table expressions are supported by DB2, Firebird, Microsoft SQL
> >> Server, Oracle (with recursion since 11g release 2), PostgreSQL (since
> >> 8.4), HyperSQL and H2 (experimental).”.
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_and_recursive_queries_in_SQL
> >>
> >> Let have SQLite added to that list :))

> > --