Aha… I see… well… if that mysterious sponsor is familiar with ‘connect by’ they
should have no issue with a recursive ‘with’ clause syntax, which is what
Oracle provides now.

See "Recursive Subquery Factoring” in Oracle’s very own documentation:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e26088/statements_10002.htm#SQLRF55268
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e26088/statements_10002.htm#SQLRF55227