Read Only mode is going to cause initial lag.  I've written an analysis to
what I saw at least on a Windows machine several months ago.  I didn't try
a Linux machine I don't think, but I can re-do it if anyone is interested.
That analysis was done on a local drive (RAID-0 SSD setup), not on a
network.  What I found was that even changing the files read-only attribute
(Old-school DOS 3.3 days file attribute kinda thing) the initial query lag
hit.  The same thing happened when I unset the R/O attrib and set the NTFS
permissions to read access only.  The database had maybe a single empty
table and a single simple query execute.  The lag was about a second and a
half to two seconds, I don't remember exactly.  Not a SIGNIFICANT hit, but
a hit needless to say.  The test was done with my own application
specifically written to test the theories, as well as using the SQLite CLI
downloaded from the SQLite site.

My application also tested for specifically stating to the SQLite engine
that the file was to be opened read only, as well as the default read/write
access method.

Setting the file to full access eliminated the initial lag entirely for all
conditions, even (If I recall correctly) when I had my application try to
access the file via R/O.