On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:47 AM, Adil Hasan <paradox2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I would like to add sqlite to a workflow. But, I cannot directly open the
> database in C using the filename as the application I'm using places a
> layer
> inbetween the filesystem and my workflow. I can open the file with
> a command from the middle-layer and get a file descriptor. Is there a way
> that I can just pass the file descriptor to the open command instead
> of the database filename?

No.  The SQLite transaction control and recovery mechanism depends on
knowing the filename.  So you cannot open an SQLite database file by
passing just a file descriptor.

Theoretically, if the file were immutable and known to be in a consistent
state (it does not need recovery because the last writer did not crash)
then it might be possible to open an SQLite database read-only using just a
file descriptor.  But no mechanism exists to do this at the current time.

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org