For your second point, SQLite4 "may" never be released, or if it is going
to be, not for a few years yet.  4 is a toy for the devs to try things out
without borking things up in 3.  3 is being used by millions (or is it
billions?) of devices and applications that the dev team is (very right) in
not tinkering with as it could break a LOT of applications.

I had already poked the team about the life expectancy of 3 and meat and
potatoes of the conversation was that due to 3 being used in so many known,
and unknown places that its expiry isn't going to be for a long while yet.