I think there are two different use cases for a mailing list such as this, and
they're each better served by different access method; either email or forums.

One use case is the individual with a long-term interest in a
project/technology. Because of the long-term interest, an email list (which is
a "push" technology - it comes to you) is ideal - you sign up once, set up mail
filtering, and then read at your leisure in the client of your choice.

The other use case is people with a one-off question. "Why isn't this query
working?", "What's the SQLite function for XYZ?" etc. For me at least, whenever
I have had one of these in the past for a particular technology, signing up to
a mailing list is a chore. You sign up, wait for the confirmation email, get
spammed by tons of stuff you're not interested in (you don't plan on being
subscribed long enough to spend the time setting up filters), then have to
unsubscribe when you've got the answer, and then confirm the unsubscription.
Then two months later you have another query and have to do the entire process
again. Personally I loathe going through this process for one-off questions.

In this second use-case, a forum (being "pull" based - you get it when you want
it) is better. Sign-up, correspond, then forget about it. If there's another
question a few months later, you can login again using the old credentials and
continue where you left off.

Unfortunately I don't think there's much forum/list software out there that
facilitates *both* use-cases. Google Groups tries to, but I've not encountered
anything else (not that I've gone looking).
I've seen some lists try and punt this "forum" component off to domain specific
stackexchange sub-sites, but that has it's own problem (splitting the community
between venues).
Just my 2p,
Cheers,
Jonathan

---- On Fri, 27 May 2016 10:55:30 +0100 Rob Willett
<rob.sql...@robertwillett.com> wrote ----

I agree with Tim.

I filter all my SQLite messages to its own folder and read as needed.

I prefer this method to a forum as I can then keep the messages with me.
I’m often off the internet and its good to have them for reading. Also
I can look back through them and get hints and tips about issues.

Its not perfect but it works for me. I get around the distraction of
emails coming in through client filtering, I did start filtering at the
server so that only important stuff came through immediately but that
didn’t work well. I now use Mailmate and like the power and lack of
graphical eye candy it offers.

I’d actively vote against a SQLite forum rather than e-mail (if
anybody asked me, which I doubt…) SQLite is important to our work so
having it around is fine by me,

YMMV

Rob