> I am ambivalent to whether or not the word is innocuous or whether it
> can be misconstrued or even if, to some people, it is truly offensive.

It is not the word that is offensive (that is illogical and plainly
impossible).  It is the thing that is offended that is the problem -- the
gutter mind and carnal tendencies of the receiver -- I am sure there are
psychiatric descriptions of the disorder, but it is often linked to breast
feeding (or not breast feeding), drinking water, eating bread, or excessively
low self-esteem brought on by early religious zealotry and brain-washing.

It is impossible for ME to offend YOU, it is YOU who caused yourself to be
offended by the thoughts you yourself conjured into your own mind.  Stop
whining and grow a pair or go see a therapist and get help with your overactive
imaginations.  I also understand that electroshock treatments can be very
effective in preventing people from causing themselves offense due to their
overactive imaginations (aversion therapy).

In extreme cases, frontal lobotomy is also a highly effective treatment for
offense disorder.