On 2015-07-31 03:40 PM, Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Simon Slavin <slavins at bigfraud.org> wrote:
>
>> I am noting an overlap with the things SQLite users have been using
>> sub-SELECTs for.
>>

> Here is a self contained example that can be fed into the sqlite3 command
> line tool.  It uses WITH to factor out the subquery; however, the annoying
> part about it is that even though we have factored out the subquery we
> still have to include a simplified version of the subquery, viz.
>    (select avgSalary from A)
> It would have been nice if we could just replace (select avgSalary from A)
> with (A.avgSalary) or even (A) but those substitutions do not work:

Well, you can, sort-of, if you use the CTE column naming. Consider this
simplified version of your Query (also using the CTE to do the actual
aggregate work once only):

    create table Emp (emp text, salary real, dept text);
    insert into Emp values
    ('a', 1, 'A'),
    ('b', 2, 'A'),
    ('c', 3, 'A'),
    ('d', 1, 'B'),
    ('e', 2, 'B'),
    ('f', 3, 'B');

    WITH A(dept,avgSalary) as (
         SELECT Emp.dept, AVG(salary) FROM Emp GROUP BY Emp.dept
    )
    SELECT Emp.*
       FROM Emp, A
      WHERE Emp.dept = A.dept AND Emp.salary > A.avgSalary;

       --  emp  | salary |  dept
       --   c   |   3.0  |   A
       --   f   |   3.0  |   B