To reply to Mr. Slavin

 > In any properly working system even integrity-check (more thorough
than quick-check) never fails, and
 > neither should be necessary in anything except a rarely-used
maintenance procedure.  They are both
 > diagnostic tools for faults, not part of a smoothly running system.

In some areas, double checking is not considered as a bad idea.

That said, I agree that borrowing user's time for maintenance's checks
is criticable.
Efforts are made to bring the overhead as small as possible, especially
in regard to the size a db file can reach.
This results in an almost  "no maintenance needed"(*) application,
offering good level of security.

(*) in that respect folowing Sqlite's phylosophy  :)

Jean-Marie