Well, like I mentioned, I do have the basic functionality that I want in an
existing C# application. Unfortunately it works in the opposite direction
that I was hoping...meaning it implements Sqlite and not Sqlite
implementing it. The functionality would be more generally usable if Sqlite
could implement that logic as an extension.

And maybe I could leverage that experience into developing a window
extension...row_number over( partition by/order by ).  Couple years ago I
was seeking said functionality from Sqlite but none existed.  And now that
I think about it, I probably can't avoid said C# application because of the
lack of windowing. I needed at that time some kind of compiled language
because I could not get the i/o performance I need from a scripting
language.

[it's been a day since I drafted the above email. but now these thoughts
have crossed my mind]

Has anyone else attempted writing a window extension for Sqlite? With
enough people requesting it, what difficulties are involved such that it is
low on a development list? What negatives does a window extension impose
that make it undesirable. What am I in for and what advice can you provide?

I probably can get away with a scripting language controlling my process. A
lot of the effort can be handed off to Sqlite in batch, handling the
queries of 20mm rows.  The final result set that needs to be windowed is
typically 5/10m rows, which should be pretty manageable...performance wise.

dvn - just the ramblings of a simple mind.