Is there a setting that I can use when opening a database, or when creating
it, or whatever, so that queries against textual fields in the tables are
*not* case sensitive?  Or is the fact that SQLite is typeless going to get
in the way of this?

For instance, I want to be able to do:

select lastname, firstname, mi from participant where lastname='smith' and
firstname = 'john'

and get the same result set as I would from:

select lastname, firstname, mi from participant where
lower(lastname)='smith' and lower(firstname) = 'john'

We have no control over how the clients send us the names, and we don't
attempt to "correct" the casing of names, so they could be in any
combination of case.