Da Martian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So if I look at a name with umlaughts in the database via sqlite3.exe
I get:

Städt. Klinikum Neunkirchen gGmbH
  --

  an "a" with two dots on top

"A with umlaut" is represented as two bytes in UTF-8. sqlite3.exe just dumps these bytes onto the console, which is not smart enough to interpret them as UTF-8 sequence. In other words, the data in the databse is fine, it's just displayed incorrectly (in the wrong codepage). You don't need to worry.

So I tried the *16 versions, but now the field size returned by
"sqlite3_column_bytes16" always seems to be larger than the string I
get back resulting in junk characters on the end.

Show how you put the data in, and how you get it back out. Realize that terminatng NUL character is not stored nor retrieved from the DB: you might see garbage at the end simply because your string is not NUL-terminated.

Igor Tandetnik