On Sep 2, 2007, at 10:18 AM, Christian Smith wrote:

Is it not worth simply making the library threadsafe by default? There is basically no platform supported today that doesn't have some form of thread abstraction, the overhead of mutex locking is probably negligible,

See ticket #2606.  http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/tktview?tn=2606

In our tests, the overhead of mutexing is not negligible. It slows down the
database by about 8%.  Nevertheless, we recognize that many people want
to run multiple threads (despite my heartfelt pleas to abstain from that dreadful practice) so we probably will make the prebuilt libraries threadsafe on all
platforms.

D. Richard Hipp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]