> In our tests, the overhead of mutexing is not negligible.  It slows
> down the
> database by about 8%.  Nevertheless, we recognize that many people want
> to run multiple threads (despite my heartfelt pleas to abstain from
> that dreadful
> practice) so we probably will make the prebuilt libraries threadsafe
> on all
> platforms.

I don't think 8% is a big deal considering the safety it offers
a variety of programs when used as a shared library or the fewer
false bug reports you'd receive if thread-safe was the default.

Does anyone know if Mac OSX ships with a thread-safe sqlite3 system
library? I'd be surprised if it were not.