On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Jim Showalter<j...@jimandlisa.com> wrote:
> At the risk of throwing gasoline on a fire...
>
> I didn't react badly to Rod's original post.

The original post was fine. It was the third post that was inflammatory.

> Yes, it could have been
> worded more diplomatically, but why so thin-skinned about it?

ahhhh! so it *could* have been worded more diplomatically, so it
*should* have been worded more diplomatically. The subsequent dialog
could have been --

Rod: blah blah

Someone else: I take umbrage at that

Rod: Sorry, if I came off as disgruntled. I really appreciate all this
free software that usually works great. Was frustrated with the snafus
I encountered. I hope someone can help me.

Someone else: Oh, no problem. Happens to all of us. Let's see now...

> He
> reported some issues. The response was that they weren't issues. Can
> you see how that might be construed as unhelpful?

Not at all. DRH's response was matter of fact and looking forward.
Pavel responded with 4 very helpful posts.

> As for:
>
> "You see, the fact is that most people ported their applications from
> SQLite2 to SQLite3 back in 2004."
>
> while that may very well be true, it sure didn't help Rod, did it?
> What he asked for was a migration guide (actually, he just asked for
> some clarifying language in the documentation). Just because most
> people don't need a migration guide because they already ported
> doesn't mean that a user who hasn't ported doesn't need a migration
> guide. That's arguing from the specific to the general, one of the
> classic logical fallicies.

Very true. But this free and open software. If a migration guide to
fit Rod's specifics doesn't exist, then Rod can ask questions and
create one and put it back into public domain so others can benefit. I
guess it all boils down to the attitude one displays. No one grudges
anyone their moments of venting frustration as long as those displays
come with also a wry smile and some self-deprecation. But, DRH already
commented on that.

Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org