regarding this
" The fault is that
almost nobody does it right: they neglect to keep an 'unaltered
central copy' and think they can cross-apply journals each time two
databases talk to one-another.  That does not work for various reasons."

Would a central repository of journals that can be applied to local
repositories be sufficient?  I suppose I assume that running the same
program on N workstations with the same set of journals should produce N
identical results.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Simon Slavin
<slav...@hearsay.demon.co.uk>wrote:

> On 7 Oct 2009, at 1:47pm, Jean-Denis Muys wrote:
>
> > On 10/7/09 11:50 , "Simon Slavin" <slav...@hearsay.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Try really really hard just to have all sites access your MySQL
> >> database remotely.
> >
> > Unfortunately this approach is not possible in the short term. The
> > client
> > applications are legacy applications, porting them to that scheme is
> > a major
> > undertaking. [snip]
>
> I completely understand.  The recommendation is valuable in the
> general case, but useless in yours.  Still, that's why they pay you
> the big bucks: to write the complicated program.
>
> >> Keep a journal.  Keep an unaltered central copy of the data.  As each
> >> site contacts the central site, play that sites journal back against
> >> the unaltered central copy.  The post-journal central copy of the
> >> database becomes the new copy for distribution.
> >
> > Interesting idea, that makes a lot of sense in the "offline" scenario.
>
> Standard solution to the synchronisation problem.  The fault is that
> almost nobody does it right: they neglect to keep an 'unaltered
> central copy' and think they can cross-apply journals each time two
> databases talk to one-another.  That does not work for various reasons.
>
> The synchronisation service built into Mac OS X (e.g. synchronising
> with online services or an iPhone/iPod) implements it in the correct
> manner.  It takes extra data space and fussy programming but it does
> at least work right !
>
> > [snip] In any case, any book reference on this topic?
>
> Since I joined this list and noticed repeated questions on the subject
> I have been trying hard to find any book with anything significant to
> say on the issue.  I failed: everything I found was lacking in some
> way.  Some were flat-out wrong.  I work at a university and I think
> I'm going to ask the Computing people to find me someone who knows
> this stuff.  I'm just paid to do it in real life, not read or write
> books about it.  If I find something good I'll read it and post here
> about it.
>
> Simon.

VerifEye Technologies Inc.
905-948-0015x245