On 15 Jan 2015, at 8:24pm, Dave Dyer <ddyer-sql...@real-me.net> wrote:

> 1) the generic error 11 "database corrupt" could have been more
> specific.  It would have been handy to know that the complaint was
> about duplicate indexes, and which index, or even which table was
> involved.
>
> 2) it wasn't possible to drop the index in question.  Or even the
> whole table containing the index.  If I could have dropped the
> offending index, I could have removed the duplicates and recreated
> the index without requiring major surgery.

You might have checked the extended error code ...

<https://sqlite.org/rescode.html#extrc>

though I don't know what it would have told you about your particular database.

When you write that

> it wasn't possible to drop the index in question

what happened when you tried ?  Were you using your own code or the SQLite
shell tool ?

My guess is that you actually have file-level corruption which just happened to
corrupt data in an index page.  Could have just as easily been a table page and
you would have had more trouble recovering your data.

A good approach for your situation might have been to use the SQLite shell tool
to .dump your database to a text file, then to use .read to create a new
database from those commands.  But it may or may not have worked from your
particular corrupt database.

Simon.