On 1/15/15, Dave Dyer <ddyer-sql...@real-me.net> wrote:

>>> it wasn't possible to drop the index in question
>>
>>what happened when you tried ?  Were you using your own code or the SQLite
>> shell tool ?
>
> sqlite shell tool.  Same complaint, "database corrupted".

First type:  ".log stdout"
That will get you additional diagnostic information.

Also try: "PRAGMA quick_check;" and "PRAGMA integrity_check;" for
additional information about the problem.

If damage is restricted to indexes, it can be repaired using "REINDEX;".

More concerning is how the database got corrupted in the first place.
That isn't suppose to ever happen.  See
https://www.sqlite.org/howtocorrupt.html for possible clues.

>>My guess is that you actually have file-level corruption which just
>> happened to corrupt data in an index page.  Could have just as easily been
>> a table page and you would have had more trouble recovering your data.
>
> Of course that's possible, but .dump produced what superficially
> appeared to be a perfectly consistent text file.   However, since
> we're dealing with an "impossible" error, it's hard to say definitively.
>
>>A good approach for your situation might have been to use the SQLite shell
>> tool to .dump your database to a text file, then to use .read to create a
>> new database from those commands.  But it may or may not have worked from
>> your particular corrupt database.
>
> That's exactly what I did do.  .read initially failed with a complaint
> about the non-unique indexes (although once again, no indication which
> index).  A process of elimination identified the index, which eventually
> allowed me to remove the duplicates, so .read could succeed.

D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org