>> it wasn't possible to drop the index in question
>
>what happened when you tried ?  Were you using your own code or the SQLite
>shell tool ?

sqlite shell tool.  Same complaint, "database corrupted".

>My guess is that you actually have file-level corruption which just happened
>to corrupt data in an index page.  Could have just as easily been a table page
>and you would have had more trouble recovering your data.

Of course that's possible, but .dump produced what superficially
appeared to be a perfectly consistent text file.   However, since
we're dealing with an "impossible" error, it's hard to say definitively.

>A good approach for your situation might have been to use the SQLite shell
>tool to .dump your database to a text file, then to use .read to create a new
>database from those commands.  But it may or may not have worked from your
>particular corrupt database.

That's exactly what I did do.  .read initially failed with a complaint
about the non-unique indexes (although once again, no indication which
index).  A process of elimination identified the index, which eventually
allowed me to remove the duplicates, so .read could succeed.