I have one follow-up question:

Since I updated LMS on the laptop to 7.8.1, the Squeezebox device screen
regularly pops up saying an update to the firmware is now available.
Should I go ahead and update the firmware? Although LMS software on the
laptop is now at 7.8.1, the LMS software on the iMAC where all of the
music files are stored is still on 7.5.4. I will try updating LMS on the
iMAC soon when I have some time. In the meantime, will an upgrade to the
firmware cause any issues between these 2 computers that run using
different LMS software?

Is it always a good idea to update firmware?