Thanks for the suggestions and I tried a few things. but in the end I'm
not sure what I accomplished.

I installed 7.9.0 for this instance since I read that the scanning is
faster. I went into the Advanced tab and set all of the 'scan' entries
to Debug as described. And then I went ahead and let LMS 7.9.0 scan my
library. In the end, it got stuck during Precaching (last line of
scanner log said: (619) Starting precacheArtwork for 2730 albums).  I
aborted it after it was stuck there for about 45-50min.

And now I'm not sure what to do with the info from the scanner log.
There were a number of instances with errors, warnings, etc. As i said,
it is a rather large libraray. Since the scan was set to 'debug' I'm not
sure what it did, if anything. Should I post some of the lines from the
scanner log here? Several different types of errors appeared like,
'Invalid Replay Gain Tag', 'Couldn't Find Required File', 'Warning: APE:
[Invalid UTF-8 value', 'Unable to read at least <xxx> bytes'.

In the end, I had to revert back to 7.5.5. Still looking for more
suggestions. Thanks.