No, reboot doesn't help fix it I'm afraid.  It works after the restart
for nearly a day but then falls into "Too many open files" again (see
log attached) and the web UI won't open unless I restart Logitech Media
Server.

Before the "too many open files" happen, there are a lot of networking related issues already. When it works, are you able to use eg. internet radio or music services? It looks like LMS was not allowed to access the internet. Do you have any firewall installed blocking access?

Any suggestions as to how I might narrow down the problem?  I
doubt that it is a system problem as no other applications running on
the same PC seem to have an issue.

I'm rather sure it's a system problem, as nobody else seems to encounter this kind of problem... You might want to give us more information about your setup: OS version, installed security tools, 3rd party LMS plugins etc.

--

Michael