Hi. Bit of a quirky one here. Rescanning my library is a real pain - it
sometimes crashes, especially when I clear library and rescan
everything.

Then you should investigate this failure. Anything useful in scanner.log and/or server.log?

I'm concerned about my playlists which I don't want to lose by accident.
I create them via ipeng. Will any rescan of my library lose those
playlists?

LMS would store them in the playlist folder - if you defined one. Therefore they should survive scans.

I use ReadyNAS for LMS and it now has a feature to delete preference
files and/or clean cache folder, including media library database,
artwork cache etc.

Just make sure you have a playlist folder outside the cache folder etc. That's really just a last resort. I'd investigate the issues before wiping anything. Crashes are more likely caused by metadata in your music files than some setting or cache.

--

Michael