When I say crashes what really happens is the scan doesn't even start.
LMS is saying that it's rescanning but no progress happens even after
many minutes. If I click abort scan that sometimes doesn't even abort.

Do you know what exactly is in preference files that's being deleted if
you run the cleanup. And also what's deleted if you clean cache folder,
including media library database,artwork cache etc.

Don't bother about what is stored where. You won't have to delete any of this. I've never needed to delete my configuration in years of active use, changing versions back and forth and so on.

What you need to do, as I said already, is check out your log files, try to understand why it's failing. Otherwise you'll just waste time re-building your configuration to eventually fail on the same scanner issue again.

--

Michael