Which rPi did you have. I think the newer models have a more powerful
processor. I use the 3B+

gstalnaker wrote:
> For another perspective,
>
> My RPi journey ...
>
> I discontinued use of my RPi as an LMS server. I had it connected to
> both
> an external USB3 drive and later a Zyxel NAS326. Configuration
> relatively
> simple and it worked. Mostly.
>
> Why mostly? I have a very large library: 3400 albums (vast majority
> classical, choral, opera, and jazz); 51,000 tracks. The horsepower of
> the
> RPi was capable of playing this collection (I have a Classic3 and an SB
> Radio, so nothing complicated there). What I could hardly do was add to
> it
> .... when I asked LMS to rescan for new or changed music I had to wait
> hours
> for its completion. There are elements of the LMS ui that are not
> available
> during this time, mainly Genre, which is my preferred way of using LMS.
>
> I initially used piCP but hated having to delete-and-reinstall to
> update,
> especially with the rebuild library that required.
>
> I shifted to using a German RPi/LMS product called Max2Play, which is a
> nice web UI that also includes options for most of the audio add-on
> boards.
> It's fault is that periodically, for me, at some future date after
> install
> and setup, the web UI would freak .... requiring a effing reinstall and
> library rescan.
>
> Finally I did things the hard way and installed & configured the build
> of
> Debian for RPi on a new RPi board. Again all worked, but library rescans
> remained abysmally long.
>
> Discovered that the Zyxel NAS326 comes with an older build of LMS7.2 so
> figured what do I have to loose and gave it a try. Works very well, to
> my
> surprise. I don't know if it's the 4Gb mirrored drives, or having them
> attached to the same board running the NAS326 software (a linux
> variant),
> but the library rescans are much faster, though not as fast as I'd
> prefer,
> but better.
>
> I don't thus have the latest and greatest LMS Mike, et. al have written
> for
> us because updating the NAS326 to use it is hard (dependencies are
> difficult to address via SSH to it), it does work, is stable, and thus
> I'm
> happy.
>
> So, upshot is that for me my 3400 album collection proved too much for
> the
> RPi horse power ONLY when rescanning the library, which was fairly
> frequent
> as I'm buying new albums all the time.
>
> Your mileage may vary.
>
> Regards,
>
> Guy

> [...]

*Home:* VBA 4TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio
(ethernet)
*Cottage:* VBA 3TB (2.4)>LMS 7.9.1>Touch> Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio
w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
*Office:* Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1>Squeezelite
*The Wild (no internet): *PiCorePlayer 4.0 on rPi 3B+, hifiberry
Dac+Pro, 4TB USB (LMS & Squeezelite)
*Controllers:* iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
*Files:* ripping: dbpa > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes;
Streaming: Spotify