I have been able to Putty into the NAS server, and some basic Unix/Linux
knowledge from 20+ years ago. there is no slimoptions file, I only get
the following. I'd really appreciate commands for bash that would help
me find the SLIMOPTIONS

Once you're logged in as root on your ReadyNAS, run the following:

vi /etc/default/squeezeboxserver

Then the difficult part begins... vi. Here's a cheat sheet:
http://www.atmos.albany.edu/daes/atmclasses/atm350/vi_cheat_sheet.pdf

Basically navigate down to the SLIMOPTIONS line, then press "i" to get in insert mode. Type the additions you want. Then hit ESC, ":", "wq" to get out of insert mode, and to "w"rite and "q"uit vi. Then restart LMS using the ReadyNAS tools.

--

Michael