OK. I implemented the language change. It seems a move in the right
direction, even if not complete yet.

What did change is that now I can play the large wav files, which I
couldn't before. A great thing.

The cue command refuses to work. Says: empty.

The other thing that changed is that the names of tracks inside the WAV
file do not show. Of course that is less of problem than not playing the
file at all.

The cue file refuses to work, and when trying to use to play separate
tracks the message you get is: Error: no items found on playlist.

Separate tracks continue to play as they did before.

Can anyone tell me what does affect the apparent problem with sox?