bigcookie wrote:
> If i cone across a solution, I will share it. I could run a script
> daily, downloading the latest episode (same file/ overwrite),
> potentially initiate a db rescan and then simple playback...
> Will think about it :-).

I don't there is an easy solution.

Within LMS there is no way to tell the difference between an remote MP3
stream and a podcast (extension, mime & URL designations - same for
both)  - so any special processing would have to happen at the Podcast
plugin level and would have to create a new type to label podcast URL as
a podcast and not just a remote MP3 stream (e.g. change saved URL from
http:// to podcast://). MPEG-4 podcast can be distinguished but handling
all podcast the same may be easier as there are very few http/MPEG-4
streams (i.e. no duration) as MPEG-4 is normally streamed with HLS or
DASH.

Once identified, then the simplest way to stream and provide
intermediate caching would be to tell LMS to use a "transcoder" - which
does nothing to data but buffers data and also facilitates "jump to
time".

Unfortunately to get metadata from the stream and to enable seeking a
time point through a "transcoder" - means some more work in terms of a
new Protocol handler  - much of which will probably be passed to current
LMS processing but still needs intercepting etc.