mrw wrote:
> Well, yes, somewhat disgraceful behaviour. And it seems that you are
> being punished for it.
>
> I've never attempted to build or install OpenSSL, and have no idea how
> one configures it. So not much help available from these parts.
>
> I see that "/usr/bin/openssl version -a" also returns (on my Debian
> system) how the compiler was configured at build time:
>
> Spot the --DOPENSSLDIR=""/usr/lib/ssl""-. Does yours look like that ? I
> would imagine that the version from the Ubuntu repository would.
> Although I don't know that.

My output looks a lot like this, with exception that I have got:
-OPENSSLDIR=""/usr/local/ssl""- and I have not been able to stop it from
doing that.

Actually, I might just install the alternate version, openssl-1.1.1d,
back into /usr/local/ssl, as I think it was working fine at the time,
since now I am stuck with OPENSSLDIR pointing to that folder! I can
create the symbolic links for certs and private to point back to
/etc/ssl/... .

*Living Room:* SB Touch + DIY PSU > CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU >
VRX.1 cables > Emotiva XSP-1 Gen 2 preamp + XPA-DR2 amp > Blue Jeans
cables > B&W 804 speakers
*Laptop:* System76 Galago + Ubuntu 16.04 + Squeezelite + Material Skin >
ifi USB iSilencer > Audirect Beam DAC > Senn IE 80 earbuds
*Bedroom:* Pixel 3a Phone + SB Player + Material/mobile > Bose SoundLink
Revolve
*Server:* Puget Systems Serenity + Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.2
*Music:* Personal FLAC, Radio Paradise FLAC, Qobuz, Spotify