Well it is embarassing.

Yesterday I reactivated my linux server, and had the same issue (songs
not streaming but instantly jumping to some offset position). Then I
thought I should update the SqueezeServer (from 7.9.1) to 7.9.2 without
improvement, and then wanted to do the same on the windows server.

That made me find out that I got the server from the Logitech webpage
where the version is stuck to 7.7.6 which obviously has some issues in
the player firmware.

Because after detaching power from all my squeezeboxes (3 classics, 2
radio, 1 receiver), thereby activating the auto-updated firmware, they
all do work fine again (even with the windows server which is now off
again).

Thanks for the comments and sorry for the thread hi-jacking!