The Restart button is displayed immediately the "Apply" button is
pressed and download initiated (not completed) - so eager users click
"Now" immediately almost always fail.

Well, then we have a problem right there. The dialog should only be shown once the downloads are considered done.

AFAICT The timeout seems to do nothing ( I reduced the value to test)
really except maybe refresh a page.n

Ok, that's wrong.

If the Restart is not displayed until download is competed - with a 10
minute download  (for example) a user will doubt whether anything is
happening - some user feedback is necessary to confirm download is in
progress.

Agreed.

--

Michael