Gobuleberbu wrote:
> I have been experiencing the same bug, although it was with the bruteFIR
> plugin.  Setting sound attenuation resulted in an increase in loudness.
> It seems like a small bug [emoji218]
>
> I managed to enable attenuation through the  squeezelite setting
> directly.

IN C-3PO you have gain, that is linear like the one in squeezelite and
Loudness.

Loudness is not linear, it applies the Isophonic curve:

30657

The rationale is:

1. select the SPL where you 'perceive'  your speakers as 'linear' (i.e.
60phon).
2. apply a gain variation i.e. -20db

the resulting level is not a 'plain' reduction of 20db at all the
frequencies,  but some frequencies are reduced more than other,
resulting in loudness, that is meant to 'preserve' the same perception
(or EQ)  you have when listening at 60db.

In that example, at 60phon 200Hz are at 60db as 1000Hz are, but at
40phon (resulting from the attenuation of 20phon) they are 'louder',
more or less 42db. The opposite for 500Hz, that is a bit 'louder' at
60phon than at 40.

Posing the reference at 60, 40 or 80phon is arbitrary, you could select
any of them, the result will change a little, being the differences form
100 and 80 different from the ones between 60 and 40, but, usually, an
attenuation is resulting in more 'loud' where a positive gain will
result in a flatter line.

SOX has a caveat with loudness: the 'balance' of the two channels it
often changes a bit, so you'll have to compensate using per channel
volume controls.

Loudness is not my 'preferred' way to EQ, the one I prefer is 'shelving
EQ' (Treble and Bass command) that works like the good old' tone
controls' in amplifiers, just remember to always use attenuation.

I.e.

Treble -3 160 results in a moderate boost of bass.

Treble -2 160 Treble -2 630 Treble +2 10000 is a very little loudness

Please note that the +2 is after two consecutive -2, so the resulting
absolute correction at 10.000Hz and over is -2.

Never be able to understand if the gain value is expressed in db or
what. To me is smaller than db, but never measured.

here some details: http://sox.sourceforge.net/sox.html
about isophonic curves:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

|Filename: Curve_isofoniche.svg.jpg                                 |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30657|