I do have a will but I am not sure if I have the knowledge. I'll try to
dig into it on the netgear forums.

You just gave the perfect reason why to move away from this unit to run LMS:

On the other hand I tried to install several other versions: 7.9.0,
7.9.1 and 7.9.2.
7.9.2 did not work for me just like 7.9.3, 7.9.4 and 8.0.0
7.9.0 and 7.9.1 are working fine. The only issue that I've noticed was a
bug with the plugins.
I can't see the list of 3d party plugins and it looks like LMS couldn't
connect to repository.

The box lacks IO::Socket::SSL, and it's nothing you can easily update on that system. SSL is getting ever more important. I'd really strongly suggest you go the Pi route. Save yourself the hassle of trying to update the NAS.

I am sorry for a bit of off topic here, but probably you could help me
with this, Michael.
After installing 7.7.7 I found a new feature - the screensaver (Digital
VU or Analog VU) works on both screens now on Transporter. Wow!
But there's a small "Now playing" text that is really annoying. Please
see picture:

Ahm... no idea... I think I've never used that screensaver. But from a quick glance at the code this is hard-coded.

--

Michael