PasTim wrote:
> I'm afraid I simply don't understand. Sorry.  For me, an Aria is part of
> a WORK - it's a MOVEMENT, and the GENRE is for the WORK as a whole (I
> can imagine wanting a sub-sub-genre of ARIA, but I've never done that).
> My library isn't trivial (nearly 32,000 tracks).

"part of a WORK" is the important part here. Doesn't it bother you that
*ONE* disc of random arias poses as several operas and fills your
library with operas that you don't have?

Trivial is relative.

PasTim wrote:
> We are different.  WORKARTIST is ALBUMARTIST, applied to a WORK - it
> can't have a YEAR in it.  Any MOVEMENT also has ARTISTs (TRACKARTIST).
> The YEAR tag gives me the recording year.
>
> My WORKARTISTs are visible and selectable.

Okay. Both too complicated and too unprecise at the same time for my
taste. But sure, different strokes for different folks. And I really see
no advantage, except maybe the trackartist.

PasTim wrote:
> The only time I lose the Multi-Library ids are if I delete the whole of
> LMS cache, including all databases, and start again.  Doing a normal
> 'clear library and rescan' is OK.

I'll give it a try tomorrow. It's probably my setup.

PasTim wrote:
> I agree that where it gets trickier is with some series of related
> pieces.  4 Last Songs (Strauss), or 24 preludes and fugues.  4 WORKs
> (each of 1 MOVEMENT), or one WORK with 4 MOVEMENTs, and so on. That's
> just a matter of personal preference to me, not a problem.  I don't have
> the concept of 'extracts' that you seem to have.

I'm not sure what you mean. I have complete works, where WORK represents
complete works. And I have extracts, where WORK just says Extracts and
TITLE shows where it's from.

I never want to listen to an extract when browsing works, thus browsing
WORKs. Extracts are almost always on compilation discs like "Best of
Opera" or whatever. It doesn't make sense (to me) that you would go to
Rossini / Il Barbiere di Siviglia / Aria of Rosina and then listen to
that ONE extract aria and then you have to do all that clicking again
for the next one. I'd just find that album by ARTIST or ALBUM and select
that track in that compilation. You don't look for a recording here but
for a context.

PasTim wrote:
> I suspect all other Classical fans have their own ways of viewing this,
> as Erland suggests in another post, and that getting any form of
> agreement would be very hard, not least because change tagging on many
> thousands of tracks could be hard, and prone to error.

Let's just say there's a scientific way to do this:

'
https://www.operadis-opera-discography.org.uk/CLBEFIDE.HTM'
(https://www.operadis-opera-discography.org.uk/CLBEFIDE.HTM)

And then there's... others.

The problem is that tag bending frenzy that happened because two
important tags are missing. I don't think that "retagging is hard"
should be an argument to implement a proper way to browse classical
music.

PasTim wrote:
> I delete duplicate (identical) recordings. A different viewpoint.  I
> don't value the exact same performance on different ALBUMs.  One will
> do.

I could do that. But technically it's not very different from adding an
index. User intervention required. Adding an index can be done
internally. Deleting a recording - I hope not.

QLMS 8.2@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4