PasTim wrote:
> Apology accepted, from someone with a Physics degree and a lifteime in
> IT.  Please get over the idea of 'right' and 'wrong'.  Just different.
> I will never accuse you of being wrong, just not my way of doing things,
> but, I'm sure, equally good for you.

See? I have a degree in physics, too. And in and musicology. And too
much time in IT. ;-)

PasTim wrote:
> Some also seem to believe that because I have a mere tens of thousand of
> tracks, that's 'relatively' trivial.  Another unpleasant way of
> discussing a subject we both seem to care about, and so unnecessary.

Just pointing out that it won't work with larger libraries. Which -
again - it doesn't.

PasTim wrote:
> This is, sadly, a splendid example of why no one will ever get an agreed
> classical music standard.

Yes. Because the standard that is out there is rejected by people who
came up with their own. Understandable, but that's the reason why we
have this discussion.

PasTim wrote:
> TI'd be quite happy with RECORDING as well for those who want it, but it
> seems that asking for the, to me, supremely logical WORKARTIST is too
> much.

Recording is a music thing. Recordings are referred to by recordings,
not workartists. Don't know how anyone couldn't see the logic here. Of
course, we could come up with our own inventions, but as you said:

PasTim wrote:
> This is, sadly, a splendid example of why no one will ever get an agreed
> classical music standard.

And you're right!

PasTim wrote:
> I couldn't use a system with WORK = extract, and cannot understand it
> all (truly - it baffles me).

Again: You don't want to search through hundreds of entries to find the
whole recording. What do you do if you have an opera and THE SAME TRACK
as an extract? The entry looks the same, doesn't it.

But it doesn't matter, you don't HAVE to do it this way.

You use WORK / WORKARTIST.
I use WORK / RECORDING.

We both use two tags. We can agree on that, can't we. And we're using
them more or less in the same way. One way is rockier than the other.
But that's a choice I won't judge this time. ;)

I argue that the name for your WORKARTIST leaves room for improvement
and that it's called recording anyway, so way not use that name.

PasTim wrote:
> So a flexible solution is, as far as I can tell, essential.

"Both solutions" are flexible; It's the same solution anyway. As I
pointed out, it doesn't really matter how that second tag is called. We
could call it Jeff. But I still think recording is the more fitting
choice because it needs to feature a date (if you don't like a date,
just don't add a date). That's no invention of mine - that's how it's
done. Thank you, Karajan, for your three Beethoven symphony cycles.

Whatever drove you to include extracts in works I will never understand.
Luckily, I don't have to. You still could do your "hail mary let's
include everything thing" with WORK / RECORDING. And I could still use
extracts with WORK / WORKARTIST. And I could add a date to WORKARTIST.
Which is beyond the tag's name. Which is why I don't like this as the
second tag name.

PasTim wrote:

> One of my criteria when basing my solution on that proposed by Erland in
> Custom Browse
> (https://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Setup_browse_menu_for_classical_music)
> was that it had to work on systems with no extra tag support or flexible
> menus, such as the old Windows Media, so all the standard tags have to
> function as best they can.

That's what created this mess in the first place, so please no.

PasTim wrote:
> This clearly isn't going anywhere, so I don't think opening a new thread
> on the topic will help.  Sad, but not surprised.

Now I'm the one that is baffled. Sorry, but you're wrong. We established
that two tags, WORK and JEFF, are needed. I'd call this a success.

QLMS 8.2@2.21 x64 (digimaster) with perl 5.30.1 / QNAP 469L QTS 4.3.4