gordonb3 wrote:
> The use case is unclear to me. Would you be taking those devices along
> on travels and attempt connect through hotel or other public access
> points? If that is the case I would let the idea go.
>

> In theory yes, but the first challenge would be to get the kernel
> modules
>

> That will depend on whether the LMS user has write privileges to the
> share, which it will likely have to be able to store playlists.
>

> Not that I'm aware of, but this might be set up using iptables rules.
> The main problem here however is that as you will be traveling multiple
> routers the LMS machine will never actually see the originating MAC
> address.
>

> It is quite possible that your ISP provided internet router has some
> type of VPN capability, or you could replace it with one that has, or
> cascade one behind it. Provided you control the network on both ends of
> the connection you could then set up site-to-site VPN and not need to
> worry about individual devices.

Right now I am taking my picore player with open VPN installed to my
workplace, to my friends place or to my fathers place.
I just connected to the Wi-Fi of that place, and it works perfectly, it
connects to my LMS at home, I do not have to configure anything on my
friends/works router.
at home I am running an asus router with open VPN server installed.
I didn’t try in a hotel or public place, but I think this might work as
well, and using open VPN should be safe to do?
I only have one picoreplayer with a touchscreen, but I have several
squeezebox touch which I do not use at this moment. And if somehow I
could install open VPN on those, I could just leave them at my friends
place or at work.
The LMS user has read and write privileges to the music share, but I
could change that to read only, and create an additional share for the
playlists.
But I think I will just take my Picoreplayer with open VPN, because I
don’t want to risk getting hacked, and maybe have some guy deleting all
my files on my nas.
Thank you.
I still have hopes, that somebody who has the skills will create an open
vpn client app for the squeezebox touch someday :-)

The Earth Has Music For Those Who Listen