Henrik Nordström wrote:
tis 2008-01-08 klockan 13:53 +0100 skrev Bernhard Schmidt:
Hi,

I've been running Squid 3.0-ipv6 branch and now 3.HEAD for quite some
time and found that after an upgrade my Squid cache was wildly crashing
with
assertion failed: ipcache.cc:995: "tmpbuf"

This is related to recursive processing of CNAME DNS responses recently
added to Squid-3 in December.

I wonder.. do we really need to recursively resolve CNAME response? We
sent an A / AAAA query, and all resolveds I know of do the recursion and
include the answer from start.

Has worked forever for Squid-2 without recursing into cname responses.

It has worked for A records because the trend there has been for people to use A records commonly. These days of AAAA records and long-IP have seen a major increase in CNAME records pointing at shared AAAA instead of multiple individual AAAA.

When I was fixing it, I found a large number of those 'cannot connect to X website' errors last year with A records was because that website used CNAME redirection and the user was doing internal DNS.

The short of it is that without CNAME resolution either directly or via the external-DNS helper a very large proportion of usable AAAA records show up as false-failures.

The assert problem is a case of why the cached list of IPA has a pointer one line and NULL a few later!

Bernhard:
 Can you get a cache.log trace of section 14 please?

On a wacky side-thought: does changing the assert to (tmpbuf != NULL) fix it for you?

Amos
--
Please use Squid 2.6STABLE17 or 3.0STABLE1.