On 31/12/2011 11:56 p.m., someone wrote:
THANK YOU for your response Peter.

deviant:/home/devadmin# dpkg -l | grep squid
ii  sarg                                          2.2.5-2
squid analysis report generator
rc  squid                                         2.7.STABLE9-2.1
Internet object cache (WWW proxy cache)
ii  squid-cgi                                     3.1.6-1.2+squeeze1
A full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy) - control CGI
ii  squid-common                                  2.7.STABLE9-2.1
Internet object cache (WWW proxy cache) - common files
ii  squid-langpack                                20100628-1
Localized error pages for Squid
rc  squid3                                        3.1.6-1.2+squeeze1
A full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy)
ii  squid3-common                                 3.1.6-1.2+squeeze1
A full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy) - common files
ii  squidclient                                   3.1.6-1.2+squeeze1
A full featured Web Proxy cache (HTTP proxy) - control utility

But yeah basically after I failed to compiled a newer version, because I
need SSL, I just decided I would reinstall the vanilla squid3.1.6 from
debian squeeze repos, but when I installed it, it kept complaining about
files missing, as if somehow some symlinks were made, and Im guessing
that make install from debian 3.1.8 must have not cleaned up after
itself after doing a 'make uninstall' of course im totally freaking out
coz producting is in 5 hours and I just figured Id clarify.

"aptitude purge" to remove a package in future ;).

You will need to begin by running "aptitude purge squid squid3 squid-langpack squid-common squid3-common".

Then re-install squid3 and apt should be able to pull the others back in properly as dependencies.

wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Debian has the set of minimum required ./configure options to build squid for Debian.

*Except* that the official packages use "squid3" instead of "squid" in the paths, and the custom built binary is also called "/usr/sbin/squid" so the squid3 packages /etc/init.d/squid3 script needs a small edit to change the executables name.