On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 06:05:09PM -0700, Pete wrote:
> I am thinking about passing on Squirrelmail and trying Sqwebmail.
> Wondering a few things about it:
>
> How is it for resource use?
> security?

Good in both cases. As a C program, which talks directly to the maildir
rather than via an IMAP layer, resource usage is very good. Sam takes
security very seriously, the biggest point is that the userid is switched
from root to the mailbox user as soon as possible (after authentication). If
you are running a virtual mailbox setup then you can run sqwebmaild as the
mailbox user rather than root.

> Does it require frames or can it be used in Dillo?

It works fine in lynx, never heard of Dillo :-) Frames are used but only as
a security measure to prevent the browser caching session history. It works
perfectly without them.

> Can I get a .cvs or .ldif addressbook imported into it?

Yes, the address books are just plain text files.

The biggest downside of sqwebmail for me is that there's no threading; that
makes it a real pain when you're used to "mutt", and so for me I only use
sqwebmail if I have no other client available. It's interface isn't the
prettiest either, although there's a spinoff project "riwos" which is trying
to address that.

Regards,

Brian.